Episode 2: Burn Notice

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Episode 2: Burn Notice

Post  Admiralwood on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:24 pm

Stardate: 2383.7

Location – San Franscisco, Earth....somewhere

Fleet Admiral (Ret.) Wood was not having a good day, mostly thanks to the brick outhouse of a man who had spent all afternoon pummelling him. Well, it felt like all afternoon. Time has a habit of slowing down when you're suffering.

“Why don't we try this again,” Wood spat out a thick gob of blood, “I...am...retired. IT isn't my job to save the galaxy any more, so do I care about some tricorder? No. I don't. You're wasting your time.”

Brick Outhouse snorted, “And I still don't believe you. Classic case of the hero complex, that insatiable need to stick your nose into affairs that don't concern you – striving for that one last medal, commendation or ticker-tape parade. You know where that Tricorder is. You can't resist helping those criminals – your former crew.”

“Hang on. There's a brain behind all that muscle?”

That comment earned Wood a nice new black eye. Through the stars that had exploded in his vision, he could see in Brick Outhouse something other than lapdog-like devotion to the cause. This man had a sore spot, an opening which Wood could use as leverage to turn the tables on his rather gloomy situation.

Time for a plan. Something this Admiral was particularly good at. That's why, he liked to remind himself in days gone by, he was an Admiral in the first place.

Besides – the Andromedans did far worse than this Vinnie Jones lookalike ever could.

His surroundings were basic. Standard Starfleet Intelligence interrogation room – black walls, limited amount of space and lighting for environmental stressing, a table welded to the floor and a chair to which he was restrained. He hadn't a hope of breaking out of the restraints without help.

That's where Brick Outhouse came in.

“So what did you major in?” Wood smiled at Outhouse.

“What?”

“Seriously. You're obviously more than you let on to be. I'm sorry for thinking you were just some kind of hired muscle. What do you specialize in, really?”

Brick Outhouse's posture seemed to loosen a little, “Criminal Psychology. I always wanted to be a cop, you see.”

“How is that working out for you?”

“Could be better.” Outhouse glanced pointedly around the room.

“I hear you.” Wood tried to hide his pain while he worked on gaining this man's confidence, “I remember when I was a Security Chief on the Gelise. A science ship in the middle of Federation space during the '60s. I felt like I was wasted there.”

Brick Outhouse cracked a faint smile, “Worked out for you in the end though.”

“Yeah,” Wood forced himself to go where he normally wouldn't. Right now this man needed to see some vulnerability, some way of making a connection. Didn't make remembering how he got out of that doldrums in his life any less painful, “By doing some things that...I'll never forgive myself for.”

That got Outhouse's attention, “You? What did you do?”

Connections Matt, “I took a job, for Section 31 oddly enough. My job was to stop this Strategically vital system from willingly ceding to the Cardassians. They had resources there we knew couldn't fall into the spoonhead's hands. I had to get into the Government behind the handover, which I did, and ended up turning the Cardassian Liason and them against each other. They tore themselves apart...and more.”

“I can't believe you did that,” Outhouse shook his head, “The spotless hero of the War, doing that sorta stuff? Why doesn't anyone know?”

“It's locked away somewhere. You get to walk away from it like it never happened, except it did. You know it did and you get to live with it eating away at your soul for the rest of your life. That's what working for the Section does to you in the end. Kills people you come to love and makes you pay by not paying.”

Outhouse's gaze lowered, an uncomfortable silence falling across the room. Now all the Admiral could do was hold his breath and hope that he'd done enough to sow seeds to discontent, doubt – whatever was needed to help turn this guy.

After what seemed like forever, Outhouse took a deep breath and asked the decisive question.

“I never wanted to be like this. I wanted to protect people. Is it too late for me to, I dunno, quit?”

Wood felt like thanking every power in the Universe, “It's never too late.”

Outhouse fidgetted nervously, “We're gona have to run. They won't be happy if you get out.”

“Then come with me. I can help you.”

There was hesitation in the Outhouse's eyes. Despite that, Wood could see he was seriously considering betrayal.

“Don't make the same mistake I did, son.” Wood's final plea.

Outside stood without a word. Pitted face pulled into a tight grimace, he produced a small black wand which he used to release Wood from his bonds.

“We need a distraction.” Wood, thinking fast now, stated.

Outhouse grinned and hit the emergency alarm button. Positioning himself by the doorframe he waited until the first responders arrived, taking the third member of the team by the throat and throwing him several feet back down the corridor.

The unfortunate responder's two comrades heard the stunned cries and turned to face the danger posed to them by Outhouse – their last mistake of this escape attempt. Wood lunged at them like an avenging angel, knocking one out with a well-placed haymaker while pulling his sidearm from its holster with his free hand. The last standing responder, facing danger from two sides, paniked and ran right into Outhouse's waiting fist.

“We have thirty seconds before better armed teams arrive.” Outhouse set his weapon to stun – much to Wood's approval, “We have to go.”

Wood nodded, taking the time to retrieve the third responder's weapon as they ran. He fumbled with the controls until a warning chime indicated the weapon was set to overload. Sprinting down a corridor lined with empty holding cells, the Admiral casually tossed the makeshift bomb into one.

Together they stepped into a turbolift and ordered it to the surface, feeling the shockwave jolt the small capsule a second later.

Within a few seconds they were striding as casually as they could force themselves down a San Francisco street, eyes roving the busy summertime crowds for potential persuers.

“Now to get off Earth,” Wood mused, “You ready to break some laws my new friend?”

USS Redemption NCC 69771
Admiralwood
Admiral
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode 2: Burn Notice

Post  Dushall on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:28 am

Dushall sat behind his desk. It had been a week and none of his contacts on Earth could give him a location on the Admiral. He was starting to get frustrated. It wasn't like he could just risk the crew and ship on a bull headed mission to storm the most highly defended planet in the Federation. No... he had to have details and coordinates and for gods sake, a plan.

On a lighter note, when Dushall revealed the evidence of the tricorder to the crew most of those that had opted to be dropped off decided to stay. It warmed his heart to know that the people he had weren't mindless drones like Carpathia's lapdog, Reynolds.

Besides the multiple battle drills he was enforcing every day to get his undermanned crew in shape for the battles to come, things were reaching a level of some normalcy on a Starfleet vessel hiding out in a dense nebula. The crew had adjusted to their schedule's and sleep deprivation was not a problem like the first couple days. 

He picked up a PADD and walked onto the bridge were the crew sat and looked at him... "Ms. Hatter, anything to report?" he asked the young female Lieutenant Junior Grade.

<Tag Hatter>

"Good to go. I'll take the bridge, you are relieved." He sat in his normal chair next to the Admirals seat. "Where are you at?" He whispered to himself.

The PADD he held confirmed his suspicions on the fleets activities. While his contacts couldn't get information on the Admirals locations they were able to scrounge up activity on Starfleet. Most all ships were on their routine missions and patrols. There were no big removal of any ships from the borders. However there was a number of sightings of the three ships in Reynolds' squadron at seemingly random spots in Federation territory. Only he knew that they were not random. They were getting closer and closer to the nebula that the Redemption was hiding in. He knew it was a matter of time before Reynolds found them and they would have to engage him or flee.

<Tag All>

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:17 am

A week after their arrival and things were still very tense down on the marine deck, silent debates and unspoken declarations flaring back and forth in pointed glares each and every time the bootnecks gathered together in any real numbers.

The problem was simple enough, and based mostly on how the Corps chose to do its recruiting, namely mostly from warrior cultures and military families, people who would already be psychologically prepared for some of the realities they would face and already sporting some of the moral controls that would prevent them from overstepping 'the line' when there was nobody there to stop them; many of these moral codes were fairly explicit about turning on the nominal head of your state. So, while apparently the officers had come to a joint consensus the actual rank and file were still far from unanimous in either their support for or belief in the evidence offered by this 'rebellion' they were all now signed up to. Their credo might keep them unified in support of one another, but there were simply too many different permutations of personal honour systems within the Company for them all to be swiftly satisfied.

Not all of them included the idea that if you were betrayed by the man at the top you had the right to betray them for instance, and even those who did still had to contend with the whole 'breach of oath' thing that was a veritable death sentence if improperly handled.

All which in turn meant that the senior NCO's were doing their damnedest to keep things at a low simmer and slowly ease the key holdouts around to at the very least the point where they would think before they did anything permanent to their brothers and sisters in the name of personal honour.

The latest of these was a Capellan who was actually leaning the other way and sporadically vocally demanding that they ditch whatever else they were doing and "Go kill the lying S.O.B." then "String him and his up from a damn balcony." Worse than this however was the way he was eyeing those who were in turn eyeing him for his outbursts

Trying to tell the guy that restraint was required and that stabbings might not be the best immediate answer was taking a lot of patience from all those who talked to him..

Which in turn had culminated in the man being 'urged' into the shower block by a few others from his platoon where Tybalt was currently tearing a verbal strip off him.

"Yes you're still a Capellan!" Tybalt conceded, "But when you took the green you became a marine, a rifleman, a son of the Corps. This" Tybalt insisted, slapping a hand against the capellan marines own green collar" is your tribe now. These are your tribemates!" he asserted, waving a hand around to the others in the tiled room, "and those of us with stripes on our pins are your elders" he added pointedly "so get your ice-damned topknot out of your flow-melt @ss and get it back in order" Tybalt demanded, his voice dropping to a cold growl at the end, very deliberately leaving the threat unspoken.

The veteran marine took one look about the others in the room, reminding them too that they had a responsibility here to their fellow, then turned on his heel and stalked back out... only to find that a certain female klingon lance-jack was hammering her fist off the table in her wide open room again as she pointedly and purposefully sung a song about traitors and the barge....

Back to top Go down

Post  Hatter3127 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:01 am

Lt. (Jg) Hatter sat in the centre chair on the bridge of Redepmtion, by far the biggest ship she'd been in command of. Even Proteus hadn't been this big. Wasn't going to be this big.
Is never going to exsist either Jess. She reminded her self.
It had been a week since her forced reassignment to Redemption. After a 14 hour shift on a shuttle, 8 of which was stuck ferrying a bunch of stinking marines to the ship, she was orignally due for an over night stop, then turn around, and head home for 2 week vaction. She'd promised to take her to Disney Planet. That idea was shot now. Luckily enough her brother Nate had managed to collect Kimberly, and was taking her instead.
Jessica looked around the bridge at the weary ensigns, and fellow junior officers, and noted their weary faces. Some had been in the service longer, but as the highest ranking pilot she had been "given" the post the cheif helm officer. Well perhapps given wasn't the right term. Take a postion, or house arrest was generally the options presented to her. Particually when she'd told the acting XO she didn't "actually give a damn about fighting in their little war, or revolution, or... whatever."

"Ms. Hatter, anything to report?"  Lt.(Jg) Hatter jumped slightly, and hoped it wasn't visable to the acting CO, a man named Dushall. She wasn't about what to make of this man. A man who had defied orders and the chain of command to steal a whole starship. Much like her father had. Only this man definately was not her father. He didn't have the same charasmatic nature, but he seemed like a good guy she guessed.

"We're still picking up transmitions from command demanding to know our status and current possition, repair work on deck 9 is going well, but I think enginering would still prefer it if we could stop in space dock for a week. Helm control is still a little slugish, and I suggest we try breaking the ship in a little more before you decide that we need to run at full power again." Hatter reported in, rising from the central command chair, "Other than that, all quiet sir. No sign of anything on sensor. All quiet all on fronts."

"Good to go. I'll take the bridge, you are relieved." Jess made her way towards the turbo lift, in the hope a few hours sleep before the next stupid battle drill, when she noticed that her acting CO took the chair to the side of the command chair, and a concerned look up on his face. This is the look a worried man, Hatter thought to her self, but exhaustion was over coming her, and rather than stay to obverse, the call of her bunk was too loud, and Jess entered the turbo lift, making her way down to her cabin on deck 8.

Executive Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Harper on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:14 pm

Danno was sitting in medical bay, again if he wasn't on duty or doing a stupid battle drill he was here, and Loki terrified him far to much for him to try hiding from her. The battle drills on the other hand were something he was quite comfortable hiding from, I mean he knew them, why did he have to do them 100 million times. So he might have been over exaggeration, maybe, just a little.

He was bored he sat here for long parts of his day doing nothing, nothing! That was something Danno was not good at doing he got bored his mind wandered although he could mostly control where it wandered to but that was besides the point, when he was happiest it was when he had something to work on. Like fixing this ship, if you could call the half built band-aid hunk of flying metal a ship. Danno sighed, once he was done here he had to get back to working on the flight stabilizer as well it may seem fine now if they start to pull any maneuvers she would start shacking and rocking and no one would be able to do their jobs well.

'Finally' Danno thought as he saw the doctor walk over.

<Loki>
Harper

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:35 pm

James Adama pushed his coffee mug around the desk and began to hum to himself, the tune was an old one from Archimedes called the Floral dance and it seemed to pass over his lips time and time again as he whistled it over and over, in the back ground was gentle murmur of the warp core  and the tap tap of Engineers boots on the gang ways and James realized he was bored.

But it wasn't to last long, Lucius soon appeared to relieve his number 2 of his duty, "James anything to report?" he asked as James began to yawn "Nothing Luke" he was using the Old Mans nickname "Its the same old same old, ive had them run several checks, polish the brass and repair the neural pathways of Fred, which reminds me: Fred is expanding, his bio conscious is increasing at a rate we have never seen before, since we built the new Engineering control centre and the FTL workshops he seems to have become more....hmmmmm" and Lucius with a raised eye brow said it "Sentient" James nodded "Exactly! we cannot allow this Luke, he could become a danger"

But with a laugh Lucius soon calmed down and in a serious tone "Its impossible for him to circumnavigate his programming, he will not become fully sentient, he is limited and controlled and though partially sentient he will never become that what we fear the most, AI"

James thumped his hand to the desk "Ok Luke have it your way, anyway im off to bed and im leaving you Engineering" he stood up and saluted and walked out leaving Luke alone in the deputy CE's office, but it wasn't long before he grabbed his tool belt and joined a works crew in a Jefferies tube.

The Engineers with him called him the "Old Man" as did the others, he was held in high esteem and was a fair man but he ran Engineering like clock work, he was pleased to have been dragged out of retirement even if it was on a presidential order, he was fulfilling his dream of seeing some action after spending several decades running the Titan special sciences division.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsey on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:28 pm

Kaine set down his PADD and wearily rubbed his eyes.  He have been reading up on yesterday's reports from around the ship and from his Marine contacts that he could still get ahold of.  It was tough when you were on the lamb because it severely limited the places you could go and the people you could talk to.  They couldn't go to a Federation friendly planet because it would only be time before they were noticed.  That was the same reason that they couldn't go to a planet that just hated the Federation either. That only left small outposts that might be more isolated than most.

The problem with that is that there weren't alot of them around.

Also, the normal people he talked to were out of the question because as soon as they tore out of the shipyards, Carpathia probably all their closest friends watched and communications traced.  Kaine wouldn't let them hang out to dry.  So again that left nominal people that probably weren't watched, but also didn't owe that much loyalty to Kaine.

All in all, pretty chancy, at best.

The reports from around the ship did show the stress that they were under.  The marines were tending to have their own issues, but Kaine tended to stay away from it.  These were Tybalt's men and if he stepped in right now, it would just undermine their CO.  So Kaine stuck to himself and tried to insulate himself with Lilly and Calle.

But now, he was headed to bridge to see if any more information had come up to Dushall.

As the doors open, he saw the Captain sitting at the command chair.  "Any news?", he asked, taking his chair to the right of the Captain.  "Any good news, is what I really mean."

[tag]
Ramsey
Admiral
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post  Admiralwood on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:00 pm

San Francisco, Earth

“We need to come up with something quick then,” Outhouse gestured at a reflection in a nearby store window, “The hornets are stirred.”

Wood took the risk of glancing around. To him it looked like a normal day in the pacific city. The morning sunshine was bright, skies were clear blue and the crowds were just starting to really get moving – casual and carefree. None of them seemed to stand out or look even slightly out-of-place to him.
“Brown shirt. By the fruit stand.”

This time Wood used the reflective glass to see just who Outhouse was talking about. Sure enough there was a man standing aimlessly by an exotic fruit stand, gazing straight at them, “Agent?”

“Worse,” Outhouse started walking, “The new President has been keeping the covert world very busy. All kinds of shakeups – including just who we put into the field these days.”
Wood shrugged, “Better trained guys?”

“Better engineered.

The realisation of what Outhouse was getting at made Wood stop dead in his tracks – forgetting that he was supposed to maintain a cover of being some casual tourist, “He didn't...”

Outhouse grasped him by the arm and pretended to laugh, “Yes he did. Section 31, Starfleet Intelligence and some Spec Ops units have Augments – most of the active service units don't even know it yet either.”

“Any idea which ones – the regular units I mean?”

“Th-” Outhouse's response was cut short, his mouth suddenly glowing a deep orange. Eyes wide in shock, his massive body twitched for a second before collapsing lifelessly to the paving. Wood barely heard the first screams issuing from eyewitnesses.

Two brownshirts were marching purposefully toward him. Neither of them armed, which means Outhouse's killer is hidden somewhere ready to finish him if he runs.

Not that he could outrun an Augment anyway.

Especially not when they are flashing Law Enforcement badges at Civilians as they pass, which was already calming the crowd and turning them against him. Slick. Very slick.

What Wood needed was help. Something fast, agile and easily stolen – like the Air Cars parked across the street. Ten metres was all he had to cross and he still had the weapon from the prison guard held close to his body.

Like every good Starfleet lifer – he knew how to work a Phaser blindfolded. With the bare minimum of arm movement he set it to widebeam, automating a firing pattern for every tenth of a second on minimum setting. Anybody the beam hit would feel a sting and be dazzled by the light – nothing more.

Wood turned to face these supposed Cops and offered them a wide smile. The phaser was tossed into the air, given a spin with a deft flick of the wrist. Orange beams of flight began spitting out in every direction, scattering the crowd like dust in the wind and sending the 'cops' ducking for cover. Knowing the distraction would only keep his would-be captors at bay for less than a second – and their sniper cover maybe not at all – the 46 year-old Admiral bolted.

He reached the vehicle just as a sharp crack announced the sniper had ended the distraction. The two 'cops' were already racing after their mark. Wood pulled open the car door and jumped inside, powering up and lifting off with one hand while the other pulled the door shut again. A warning tone reminded him to put on his seat belt- which he ignored for the sake of putting as much distance between himself and Augment Ninja-cops as possible.

Wood started his career early due to piloting skill. Now he only hoped he hadn't become rusty with age as he gunned the throttle and started a vertical climb toward the densest portion of traffic. In the rearview mirror he saw the 'cops' commandeering two air cars of their own for the chase.

“You know,” Wood muttered, “For Covert supermen you are being awfully messy right now...”

A high yo-yo put him right in the middle of a thick westward stream of traffic, weaving between cars as his speed increased rapidly to near-supersonic. It was almost too much to attempt while trying not to crash and die, but he needed to get in touch with some friends.

“Computer,” He swore as he swapped paint with a large family air car, “Contact Admiral Janice Richards, Starfleet Intelligence. Say it's Woody!”

The 'cops' were gaining on him. Wood muttered something about missing old times and scissored under and over vehicles at full speed, swinging the tail out from side to side so he could change lanes while doing so. The move was so dangerous that he didn't dare focus on anything else, even though he could see the 'cops' keeping up with him on the rear-view in his peripheral vision.

“Matt, what the hell?” Richard's voice was full of ire, “You trying to get me arrested too?”

“Sorry Janice. Best I could do from a stolen air car being chased by two supermen.”

Richards took a pause. In a fleeting moment of panic, Wood thought his old Academy friend had hung up on him, “Supermen?” She finally said, “Kahn-style Augment Supermen?”

“From what I heard.”

Richards swore, “I was hoping my source got it wrong.”

Wood's vehicle jolted violently from the force of a 'cop' air car slamming against the port side, “Can we get back on topic?”

“Need those guys off your back?”

“That'd be a nice start.”

The second 'cop' caught up, closing the distance to box Wood in. His response was to cut power to the anti-grav systems, causing the air car to suddenly drop like a stone. The inertial dampeners screamed in protest at the sudden application of negative G's, but held.

“We'll hack their craft. Locking onto your transponder. Hang in there Matty...”

Wood threw back on the anti-gravs with enough time to skim the ocean surface. That was his one best card. If he climbed now, the cops would surely catch him and force him to ground. However if he stayed at his current altitude his manoeuvring options were limited. It really was up to Janice now – and she had about ten seconds by his estimate. Two dark dots were closing from above.

Soon they were close enough to see each other clearly. The 'cops' swung into position on either side of Wood's vehicle, both supermen glaring at him with palpable loathing.

“Lighten up,” Wood waved at them, “Being so stressed will kill you.”

“We're in!” Janice announced. A split-second later the two 'cops' struck the Pacific with a deafening slap, forcing Wood to pull sharply back on his stick to avoid crashing with them.

“That was a little too close,” He sighed once at a safe height.

“Would you rather I waited?”

Wood shook his head, “Thank you.”

“You're welcome,” Richards smiled, “Now to get you someplace safer. Im going to get my guys to backpack you into McKinley station on someone else's Transporter pattern. Good luck Matt.”

Wood returned her smile, “I owe you.”

“I'll add it to the tab.”

A tingling sensation overtook the admiral's body, his world becoming nothing but a sparkling blue void before fading into a breathtaking panorama of the Earth from space. He reached out and ran a hand along the frame of a large bay window and let out a deep breath.

Now what?

USS Redemption NCC 69771
Admiralwood
Admiral
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post  Dushall on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:35 am

LT Corey Foreman finished his rounds and finally got to his desk. Since waking up in sickbay a little less then a week ago from a trauma induced coma and several healing bones and burns he was glad to be back to work and alive. The shifts were longer then normal but that couldn't be helped. Besides, it wasn't like there was a whole lot to do when you were off shift. You could workout, which he did every day, spend some time on the holodeck, or read a book.

He normally preferred to read a book in the sanctity of his room while sipping on some liquor he had stowed onboard. His days of selling and distributing alcohol and running illegal gambling games were over. From now on he was on the straight and narrow... well mostly.

The PADD in front of him was filled with the status reports of the various security teams that were walking the ship. Even though they were undermanned on a whole they still had over half of the security personnel they were supposed to have. That made things a lot easier for him. Over all the roving post and the stationary post all reported green.

Studying the latest report he received on a altercation in the Hangar Bay he paused as the doors slid open. Entering was the curious and yet oddly attractive Security Chief.

<Tag Emily>

LT Corey Foreman
Security Officer
USS Redemption

Back to top Go down

Post  Dushall on Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:15 am

Dushall heard the voice of his Executive Officer talk to him. It grabbed his attention and he looked into the eyes of the Lieutenant Colonel. "Good news is that we are still alive. Bad news is that Commodore Reynolds' fleet is getting closer and closer to our position. I'd say we have about one month before they find us." He set the PADD down and turned his attention to the view screen.

Something was not right, he could tell as he looked at the transparent view screen that a small section of it on the top left was blurred just a little bit. He stood, walked over to it and pointed. "Ensign Caldreth, what is that on the viewscreen?"

The ensign walked over and pulled out a tricorder and began scanning the blur. "It appears to be a life form sir." A small smirk crossed the young Science Officers face. "It's amazing, It's attached itself to our vessel," the smirk faded as the realization hit him. "Sir, that organism is eating our hull."

"It's eating our hull!" Dushall spoke louder with surprise and both anger that it wasn't caught before. "Why didn't we pick them up before Ensign?"

"Well sir," The Ensign continued. "The Organism is microscopic and doesn't consume enough for us to pic it up on the ships sensors. I would think that if there were a few trillion times more organisms then we might pick up a threat to the hull integrity. But like I said sir, they are only microscopic."

An alert sounded as the computer spoke up, "Hull Integrity compromised deck 11 section 13 Bravo."

"Ensign I want a full sensor sweep done of the hull of the ship. I want those creatures gone and I want a solution asap." Dushall looked to his XO. "Looks like we can add metal eating organisms to the list of bad news." He turned to LT Azure, "Azure, get everyone out of that section and seal it off. Put the ship at Yellow Alert." The claxons started flashing as the lights dimmed just barely.

"Uh sir, External Sensors aren't working in the nebula but I had the computer run a trace through exterior visual optics and it found something you might want to see." Ensign Caldreth spoke up.

"On the main viewscreen." He odered as he turned around. The screen divided into 20 different sections each offering a angle of the ships exterior hull. Dushall's jaw almost dropped as he turned to Kaine, "Make that 'Giant Space Nebula Sucker Slugs'."

<Tag Kaine>

Capt. Eric Dushall
USS Redemption

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:12 am

| Barracks
| The Reddy

Yellow alert changed everything, the glares, the silent discussions, the deliberate obstreperousness, all of it. Instead the bootnecks ditched everything, warm coffee, 'lad's mag' or training tool, and rushed to their posts. The boys, girls and others in gold might be responsible for the security of the ship but the folks in green had their own roles too whenever the ship had to be fought.

It was due to those roles that the marine ready room was filling fast with riflemen ripping open their lockers and yanking out their gear, then rushing off to the ready line to receive their weapons.

Within moments of the alert being given the first squad was armoured and armed, their lead NCO at their head even as they stepped up to their dedicated transporter and paused for orders. As the minutes ticked by others either joined them or hurried to their own posts, the dedicated marine pilots who had brought them all here in the company's assault shuttles leading a squad down to the launch bay in case the orders swung that way, others gearing up to support the damage control teams.

Even though they had only been at this posting for a week the movements were precise, efficient and achieved with the minimum of wasted effort or fuss. There was a reason that this lot passed through one of the toughest training school in the Federation, why they proudly wore their Force Recon patches on their dress uniforms.

With the alert 'only' being yellow there wasn't as much hurry as their might have been, and those bootnecks on a sleep rotation weren't kicked out of bed yet, but the company was getting ready, properly preparing so as to prevent that piss poor performance.

For his part Tybalt made a point to check in on the officers, to make sure that one of the lieutenants hadn't been passed some orders that they had yet to pass on and that they hadn't suddenly decided to lose their heads up their ....

Fortunately they too had earned their badges and there was little issue with their personal preparedness, but it soon became clear that they had no more idea what the alert was about than the rest of them did

"Well at the very least it's a good drill" one opined, his tone not quite agreeing with his words, perhaps saying more about how disappointed he was to be called away from that young nurse in the forward lounge than his spoken opinion did.

"Sir" Tybalt offered in return, meanwhile checking his own tac-comp for the check ins of the various units, looking for anything that his fellows more directly in charge of said units weren't already picking up on.

Back to top Go down

Post  Clarissa Loki on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Doctor Loki looked in the reflection of a medical research computer panel, realized her hair was out of place and stopped to put it calmly back together; she was a Senior officer and no matter how bad she felt... she still had to be at the top of her game. Mindlessly swiping her coffee cup to go back to the regenerator, she reviewed Lieutenant Luthor's recent bio scan and the comments that the temporary Counselor wrote about him.

The patient suffers from possible delusions of intricate memories that he cannot or possibly will not deal with emotionally. The medication seems to help him keep these at bay, but it might be necessary to allow him to walk through the more violent ones with the use of hypnotherapy when one of the vial dosages has run out. The possibility of releasing this man from his own personal hell will be his own decision. He must be mentally strong to deal with these on his own terms, not while on this medication. After this is all said and done, Lieutenant Danno may actually live a healthy life free from his own personal torment. Although, that future is a long, long time away.

Clarissa slightly nodded her agreement, despite the Counselor only being field promoted from Cadet to Ensign. That one had taken some pushing and prodding to get, even in their dire situation. Moving from the research area of the medical labs, she realized that it was getting louder. Many of the medical personnel had been given their orders not to disturb her when she was in the labs unless it was dire. Looking around Main Sickbay she saw once again, most of the bio beds were full.

"Nurse Jack..." She asked in a questioning tone, yet she was fairly certain of the reason already.

"Commander Dushall's battle drills. Ensign Cho has been in here twice after slipping on a tool in Engineering. If I have to fix her collarbone one more time, she'll have to undergo more invasive treatments as her dentine won't be able to make a good hold." She handed Clarissa a medical padd showing the damage to the bones where both breaks had occurred as she'd once fallen into the warp railing backwards and then the next time into the ladder access as she was coming out of the Jefferies tubes. "She's lucky there wasn't head trauma to add to these incidents too, sir." Nurse Jack quipped as Doctor Loki handed back the patient's medical padd and nodded her head.

"I'll talk to Dushall." She looked at Ensign Cho who had a very brave face on, but Clarissa saw the worry on her face. "Take today and tomorrow off. Run Simulated Physical Therapy beta-two tomorrow morning and then the next day. No holo sports that involve the upper body for two weeks." She saw the look of disappointment, "I know, I know. It sucks. But you come in here again with this," She pointed at the injury site, "You'll be under my scalpel and sitting in here, not the mess hall."

"Aye, sir." The slightly dejected woman stated as Clarissa turned away.

Moving around the room, she noted that there were some minor injuries and a few check ups being performed. She looked down at the padd in her hand and realized she still hadn't talked to Lieutenant Luthor about his medical bracelet. Her and Nurse Jack had spent a better part of a week nailing down dosages and now it was time to deal with the consequences.

"Hello, Lieutenant. Here you go." She handed him the coveted bracelet, one that was too distinct in it's nature to be anyone else's fashion chrono. "Any relapses lately that you didn't mention to Counselor Sochi?"

<tag Lt. Luthor>

Clarissa nodded her head. "Well, if it was only a short bout then at least that's progress." Clarissa stated. "I know you want to go, you've spent all of your spare time this week with Nurse Jack and I. We're both grateful for your patience, and we won't ask you more of it. After many analysis and blood tests, we're fairly certain we've concocted a similar dosage. Seeing as you only have today's dose left, I suggest you try our version and leave this as a back up if it's ever needed." She indicated to the vile in her hand. "There isn't much in the difference of the dosage, and I'd love to spend more time analyzing your psyche and the internal results that the medication provides to you to find an ultimate solution, but you're needed elsewhere and I have other patients who need this bio bed. You will be coming back periodically to provide additional results," She held up her hand at the angry look, "You are a guinea pig of mine for now, yes. But it's in your best interest that I know how your disability may infringe on this ship. Her crew and her safety are paramount. I can't just be handing out medication without maintaining it's usefulness either, we both know this to be true. So make a decision, use my dosage that's pre-filled, or the last vial. We both know the pros and cons of your choices, but those are your only options."

She silently thought about why Admiral had brought this man from the psychiatric hospital without further thought to the medicines he may be required to have. After she watched Lieutenant Luthor leave Sickbay she picked up the remaining vial, aware of his choice and nodded. They both knew the situation he was left in, was not by eithers choice. It was something he was going to have to live with and her, it was something she was going to have to deal with too.

Clarissa Loki
Chief Medical Officer
Chief Medical Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Harper on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:18 pm

"Hello, Lieutenant. Here you go." She handed him the coveted bracelet, one that was too distinct in it's nature to be anyone else's fashion chrono. "Any relapses lately that you didn't mention to Counselor Sochi?" 

"Small things here or there, nothing bad just seeing some one I haven't met yet or being some where new in the ship all the info i head read about that just pops up into my head," replied tiredly.

Clarissa nodded her head. "Well, if it was only a short bout then at least that's progress." Clarissa stated. "I know you want to go, you've spent all of your spare time this week with Nurse Jack and I. We're both grateful for your patience, and we won't ask you more of it. After many analysis and blood tests, we're fairly certain we've concocted a similar dosage. Seeing as you only have today's dose left, I suggest you try our version and leave this as a back up if it's ever needed." She indicated to the vile in her hand. "There isn't much in the difference of the dosage, and I'd love to spend more time analyzing your psyche and the internal results that the medication provides to you to find an ultimate solution, but you're needed elsewhere and I have other patients who need this bio bed. You will be coming back periodically to provide additional results," She held up her hand at the angry look, "You are a guinea pig of mine for now, yes. But it's in your best interest that I know how your disability may infringe on this ship. Her crew and her safety are paramount. I can't just be handing out medication without maintaining it's usefulness either, we both know this to be true. So make a decision, use my dosage that's pre-filled, or the last vial. We both know the pros and cons of your choices, but those are your only options."

With that  Danno got up off the bed smiled at the doctor and said, "Maybe next time I am here you will be needed my help." With that and a small chuckle he left to head back down to engineering. He was suppose to get some time to rest but sleeping aloud a portion of his brain that he can not control ever to take over.  Because of this Danno has gotten use to working of little sleep.

The Doors open to engineering, he gave a small smile. He may not have any friends, but at least he had work he could do. He looked over and saw Cmdr Adama, he gave a small wave, "Yea Cmdr I know I am not on duty but I want to fix a few of those stabilizing units never know when we might get into a fight."

Before Adama had any chance to argue Danno disappeared into a Jefferise Tube, and began crawling to the places he needed to work.
Harper

Back to top Go down

Post  Hatter3127 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:43 pm

Jessica was 3 quaters of the way to her quaters when the yellow alert status went off. She sighed to her self, and dropped her head. She promtly turned on the spot and draged her self back towards the turbolift she had not long left.
"Bridge." She ordered the turbo lift, and used the walls of the turbo lift to prop her body up. Being only a yellow alert, she didn't strictly need to be on the bridge, but to be quite frank she didn't trust the non-com she had left in charge of the helm. Of her helm. On her ship. Jess was sure somebody else thought she was in charge of the ship, but she knew that the true power to an vessel was the helm. Anybody could sit in a command chair and give orders, but the power to move, at what speed, which direction, that was all in the forward console of a starships main deck. That's why it was always the captain who manned the sailing vessels of anicent times.
Lt. Hatter stood on her own two feet as she heard the turbolift begin to slow down. She straightened her uniform, before walking out onto Deck One, and walking over to the centre of power on the bridge.
"Your're releived chief. Go get your self a coffee and some rack time."
"Don't you want the hand over report."
"I was only here 5 minutes ago cheif. I think you'll find the bulk of that hand over was written by me anyway. Now get outta here. Dismissed." And Lt. Hatter sat in the helm officers chair almost before the NCO had left the chair, which, she grimaced, was set up all wrong. As was the holding postion of the ship, and the engery levels being used for station keeping... And another hundred little things that were just 'wrong'. 'This is going to be a long posting.' Lt. (jg) Hatter thought to her self, before altering all the settings so they were 'Just so'....

Executive Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Emily Star on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:54 am

Security was never quiet, however with recent events there was an odd lull. Shifts were out, everyone was on stand-by and nobody was loitering around. Even the slackers were busy. 

“It sounds like a morgue in here,” Emily quipped as she moved towards her office, “Any news on the marines?” 

“Just the normal scuttlebut. Seeing as how our security teams can't get in too close.” It was well known that Marines and Security Personnell didn’t get along that great. Their “crossing of paths” had made more than one headline on local news boradcast in the past. “Have you heard anything from their Master Sergeant?” 

“No, I’m tempted to go talk to him,” Emily paused, “Although...he’s...a piece of work.” 

“I bet,” He said as he sipped his tea. “You’d have to be to be a Marine for as long as he was.” He walked over to her desk and laid down the latest reports. “Speaking of which. Did you get a look at his SRB. I swear, if it was written on old fashioned paper it’s weigh as much as a shuttle.” He took the seat infront of her desk and took another drink.

“A broken, rusted shuttle,” Emily said with a snort, “He’s a lot of things but I caused him to do a double take. If I can do that, I can’t see him being that impressive.” 

“You have to admit Ma’am, you make a lot of hardened people do a double take.” Although this was his first posting with LtCmdr Star he had heard about her through scuttlebutt on his travels. She was not one to be messed with. Even someone with his bearing was thrown off when he first introduced himself to her and almost felt like a fool. He could only count on three fingers that had ever happened to him. Once in the Academy, once when speaking to the President of the Federation and  when he reported for duty after he woke up from his coma. 

“Ma’am, do you think the Marines are still a danger to the ship? I mean after the evidence in the tricorder that the Captain gave everyone you would think they would be on our side.” Taking another sip of his tea he looked as he realized that was the last sip. 

“I don’t know, marines are stubborn enough and loyal to the end,” Emily leaned back in her chair, “I can guarantee you that if they do take our side, it’ll be a tentative choice and they’ll be looking for flaws to prove it wrong.” 

Foreman got up from the chair to fill his glass up again when the yellow alert claxons began to flash with the single warning signal. “I wonder what could be going on.” He said as he put his glass on his desk and reached for his phase pistol belt. 

“Relax,” Emily said, eyeing how easily his hand went for his pistol, “Search, assess, then shoot people.” She stood and moved around the other side of her desk. 

Foreman nodded to her comment and tapped his phaser with his hand. “Whats the old saying Ma’am, ‘Something, Never leave home without it.” He smirked as he stood there waiting for his orders. 

=/\= Star to the CO what’s with the claxon’s sir.=/\=

=^=This is the CO, We have some uninvited guest having a feast on our ship. I recommend you get up here and bring Tybalt with you on your way up. Dushall out.=^=

“Well that doesn’t sound at all as appetizing.” He said turning the CO’s reference into a little joke.

Emily scowled, “Bring...Tybalt.” She shook her head, “I..” Her sentence wasn’t even worth saying, “Let’s go.”  Picking up her PADD she opened a channel to the comm where the Marines were stationed, “Tybalt...” She paused for her voice to register, “ We’ve got some guests who need to be reminded how rude it is to simply show up. I can send a team to escort you if you’re afraid you’re going to get lost. If you think you can handle it, I’ll see you with the CO.” 

Emily closed the channel, put the PADD away and looked at Foreman, “Stay out of trouble.” 

“Foreman was checking the settings on his phaser when his Chief issued her standing order to him. “Aye, aye Ma’am.” He said as he put his phaser back in it’s holster. 
Emily Star
Chief Tactical Officer
Chief Tactical Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Admiralwood on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:25 am

McKinley Station – Earth Orbit

One of the most important things to remember about being on the run from the forces of a powerful government entity – no matter how hard you try to hide, eventually they will catch your scent. When they do you need to either be ready to make a stand – or packed for more running.

Sometimes Wood wished he'd never studied The Art of Spycraft. Whenever things went pear-shaped, he started to hear Mister Westen's voice sardonically reciting a passage in his head.

Wood's preference was to make a stand. Always had been. However in this case he was up against opponents who were strong enough to give a Vulcan a run for his money – heck even an Andromedan Rhwir would have difficulty. Which is why he was sat in a far, flung corner of a loud, obnoxious civilian club – the kind of place he hated – with a pint of lager trying to look like he was relaxing. The place was packed, which made it about as public as you could get right now.

Which brought him to option number two. If you can't make a stand – run some more, which made him wonder just how he was getting out of the Solar System.

Rear Admiral Janice Richards sat back in her office chair and steepled her fingers under her chin. She wanted to do more than simply put her friend in some new spot where Carpathia's thugs would find him. Somehow it just didn't do justice to everything they had – and still enjoyed.

She needed to get him out of the system, where he could start doing something about the madness that had overrun the Federation.

But how to do that? It's not like his old ship – marked for destruction as she was – could just warp in and grab him.

Or could she?

“Computer,” Richards pulled her desk terminal close, “Open up program 'The Open Door'.”

Her console bleeped obediently, opening a private little program she'd spent half her career building and perfecting. She owed her current position half to this creation – a program designed to use low-level communication subroutines as stepping stones to insinuate itself within higher and higher level communication protocols – disguised as simple operating system components. The whole time it sends carbon copies of every message sent at that level to Starfleet Intelligence's army of analysts.

It was made for bugging the communication networks of potential threat Races, but Carpathia had never really sat well with her either.

The Door was Open in Federation Comm traffic too.

Now she was going to do something new with it. Instead of listening in to Carpathia's carefully crafted messages, she would use it to send a message undetected to the very crew he hated most.

In short – Redemption was getting a surprise call from the Office of the President of the United Federation of Planets.

“Would you like to proceed with opening this channel?” The Computer chimed.

“Yes,” Richards couldn't help but smirk at her own genius, “Open a channel to the Starship Redemption.”

{Tag crew}

USS Redemption NCC 69771
Admiralwood
Admiral
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post  Dushall on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:09 am

Dushall was standing at the comm station when the young Orion Ensign at the con called his name. “Sir, There is a message from the Presidents Office asking for you sir.”

He stood to his full height as he stared at the multi colored hue of the nebula beyond the view screen. “Put it through to my office. “ He decided as he started to walk through to the starboard deck of the bridge.

Sitting down he straightened his uniform and pressed the activation switch on his desk computer. “You have some balls trying to...” He stopped in mid sentence as he saw his former Intelligence Commander’s face. Even with age creeping up on her she was still a very beautiful woman.

“Oh please finish that sentence Mister Dushall,” Richards leaned foward with a half-amused expression, “You know you want to.”

Dushall could see the amusement on the Admirals face, to catch on of her most accomplish agents in a fit of anger was not something you saw everyday. “Sorry Ma’am I thought you were the President.” He wanted to ask her how she was contacting him but knew that although old dogs couldn’t learn new tricks doesn’t mean that they still didn’t have tricks others knew about.

“Hopefully that’s what every other sentient in this Galaxy that has a mind to listen in will think too. Would love to catch up with old plebians but needless to say this won’t be very convincing unless it’s kept brief. So down to business.”

Dushall nodded and listened as the Admiral spoke up.

“Wood’s alive, sort of well but most importantly free and on the run. I’ve managed to get him off Earth and hidden on McKinley Station. He needs a ride.”

“Good to know that the old man is still kicking.” His hand rubbed his chin as he thought for a second. “McKinley Station is going to be hard to access. I might be able to work something out. Given that you can grant me some credentials. Starfleet Intelligence still has the best handy work with forgeries.”

Richards closed her eyes and shook her head sadly, “No can do this time. They have everything down to your bio-signature marked. You so much as set foot on McKinley station and the Augment Goon Squad will be on your backside faster than you can say ‘oh crap’ - then you and Wood end up in dead-land. No. But I DO have a suggestion for you...”

The expression on his face changed at the mention of Augments. “Carpathia has my kind after Wood?” He knew this was serious. Augments were the most highly trained agents that Starfleet had. Given the most daring of missions that lasted sometimes even years. Not only that but once he left he had heard that Starfleet started to Augment the Augments with Khan DNA. This produced augments with very aggressive tendencies. All in an effort to preserve peace. “I had one forming but what is your idea?”

“Three of them were sic’ed on him already. He managed to get the drop on them, but that won’t happen again. How well read are you on his early exploits? Do you know of The Battle of Thermopalye - not the ancient one, but the one during the Andromedan War?”

“Yeah I read up on it. But refresh my memory.” Dushall was very active in the Andromedan War but only as a behind the scene’s agent.

“He had to hold a pass of space between two very unstable nebulae. A single fleet - the 9th - was all he had until the Klingons and Tholians could be persuaded to join him. 114 ships versus an entire Andromedan Division. He held and managed to win the first major victory of the war there - but he had a right hand lady who ended up fighting alongside him the entire conflict. She was the one who rode into battle playing ‘Thunderstruck’. Her name is Serita Duchene, Commander on the starship Incursion. Find her, she’ll get you to Wood.”

“So I have to find Commander Duchene and persuade her to help me in freeing Admiral Wood?” Thinking about it he nodded. “If you say she is our best bet then I’ll take that chance. Anything else Admiral?”

“Just trust me on this one. But one thing you need to know. Duchene does things a little....differently. Be ready to humble yourself a little to secure her co-operation. “Good hunting!”

“Roger that. Dushall out.” He deactivated the transmission and got ready to get back onto the bridge. Standing he straightened his uniform and walked out into waiting eye’s. It was as if everyone was waiting for that moment that he came out of his office.

Back to top Go down

Post  Harper on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:18 am

Danno climbed out of the Jefferies Tube soaked in sweat he looked over at a LT9(jr) and sighed, "Looks like there is a slight problem with the environmental controls in parts of the ship, if its just the AC you might not think it's a huge deal but if we get into combat and with the yellow alert that small problem could become a big one, do a scan find the areas and find the problem if you need help call me, even if I am off duty."

With that Danno left engineering physically tired, he was out of shape. Spending that time away did not alou him much for psychical activity, but for now he decide it might be best to try and take a short sleep before this yellow became red.

Last edited by Danno on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Harper

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsey on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:31 pm

"Make that 'Giant Space Nebula Sucker Slugs'."

“Wonderful”, exclaimed Kaine dryly.  “I would say it can’t get much worse, but with our luck, it will find a way.”

In his mind, he was going through any piece of information, rumor, or plan for Giant Space Nebula Sucker Slugs.  Unfortunately, the Academy didn’t really plan for that too much.

“I bet it is following the trail of the microscopic organisms to us.  Either that is it’s food, or it just knows to follow that trail to food.  Either way, we need to be rid of both of them.”

Kaine headed for the Science Station.  “I’ll work with Science to come up with a plan.”  Kaine tapped his combadge.

=^=Ensign Curtis, please join me on the bridge. =^=

[tag Sydney]
Ramsey
Admiral
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:32 am

"Top" offered the designated sigs lance jack, "Chief sec-tac on the line" they declared, "says we have a foothold situation" they supplied, neatly and deliberately skipping the part where the senior officer had cast doubts on the Andorian's ability to find her, "requests your attendance with the CO"

Tybalt's reply was 'to the point' acknowledging the order even at the same time as he fought down his frustration at being required to deal with lieutenant commander Legs some more. Okay so he now knew what her race breakdown was now he had taken a while to flick through her service record, but none of that really explained to him just how or why the pretty hybrid officer had gotten so, chosen to be so, damn frustrating. It did however confirm her age, that the day she was born he was already four years into his instructor stint at Braag, and well into his seventy-second year in service, heading fast towards his own centenary. Completely unfairly she became a whole lot less interesting at that point

Shaking off that thought he looked over the message details he had been handed again, and frowned at just how little there was there, completely leaving out why he was being involved.

Or why he was being picked again rather than any of the platoon officers.

It did however make things clear that the mentioned incursion was not an immediate threat; the border lights still set to yellow rather than red and the order not containing any real utmost urgency indicators.

"Let the lieutenant commander know I'm on the way" he replied, popping the toggle on the chin strap of his helmet and turning to make sure that his duties were being covered before heading off at a steady jog for the nearest turbolift.

Which in turn meant that he arrived back at the bridge just as Zethra started arrangements with Curtis and Dushall took to his office for the call announced by the cute little green lass at the com station. Green wasn't really his colour but every time he saw any Orion female free of the desperately atavistic mess that was their misogynistic home culture he had to smile. things were probably better these days than they were back when he signed up, but a good part of him still remembered desperate refugee freighters full of girls from school age to babes in arms.. desperate for any life that didn't include slavery and exploitation. Now apparently they were serving in the fleet, who knows that ensign could even have been the daughter of one of those very exiles.

Across the deck she had seen the smile and interpreted it as most 'outgoing' coms officers would, replying with a slightly warmer smile of her own, and an unconscious  slight arch of her back which served to emphasise just how much strain the front of her uniform was under, completely skipping over the fact that he was old enough to be her grandfather in favour of a little massage for her own ego. Duty done she followed that with a silent nod towards the science station that was monitoring the slugs and he offered an equally silent nod of thanks back, even less sure of what the heck was going on.

"So what are we looking at sir?" Tybalt asked the teal uniformed officer at the indicated station, unable to make heads or tails of the scrolling degradation reads that the man was looking at.

Back to top Go down

Post  Admiralwood on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:58 am

McKinley Station, Earth Orbit

From war hero to a faceless member of the crowd. Somehow Wood seemed to have find the change refreshing, a nice change from putting on smiles and being gracious to those who came to show respect, admiration and such. The more he could stay anonymous in a crowd, the safer he would be. As they left the club upon closing time, the crowd steadily grew thinner the further away he got as patrons went their separate ways home.

Wood dealt with the problem by staying close to the inside of the promenade, keeping the thinning crowds between him and anybody who might be looking for him here.

“Nice to see you still remember some of those old tricks,” A gruff voice startled him, “Just keep walking. I'm not staying here long.”

Wood felt himself starting to break out into a sweat, “You...how did you get onto this station?”

“More effort than I'm willing to talk about right now,” The voice replied, “Let's just suffice to say I'm here, but not really.”

“What do you want?”

The voice's owner tittered with a hint of enjoying the situation in his tone, “I got a call, inviting me to look up an old friend. Couldn't pass that up.”

“You should be dead. I watched you burn...”

A snicker, “Why do you think I want so badly to look you up?”

“Well,” Wood said with the defiance of a man whose day couldn't possibly get any worse, “You know where I am.”

The voice made a strange guttural noise, “And I have your Government to thank for that. See you real soon Admiral...”

Anybody else? Wood shook his fist at the bulkhead in frustration, not even caring if it was aimed at Earth or not. All he needed now was the bloody Borg to show up and Carpathia would have dug up just about every old enemy Wood had ever faced – short of Andromedans...

USS Redemption NCC 69771
Admiralwood
Admiral
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:09 am

Commander Serita Duchene sat in her chair, gazing around the room she affectionately called the bridge. “Duchenians!” She addressed the five hundred-or-so people gathered around. “Today marks six months since the arrival of myself, your God and Queen, and my companions... the Incursion Skypeople.” Cheers erupted from the Aztech-looking planet natives that filled the stone walls of the bridge. “I’d like to thank you for the hospitality you have shown, and I promise you that peace between your people and theirs will continue until their skyships arrive to take them home.”

“D’komar-ta Serita-ma.” The people began to chant. It was the equivalent of, “All hail the Goddess Serita.”

“Dismissed!” Duchene stood up from her decorated throne dubbed captain’s chair, and took the stage-right exit out of the temple. As the natives left out the main doors.

Looking out over her Bridge was a unique experience. Looking nothing like the more claustrophobic layout of the Incursion’s bridge, this new Bridge was a room of cavernous proportions built  atop a layered pyramid temple. Wide, flat stone floors surrounded a wide set of steps which led up to Duchene’s filigreed gold throne,  decorated with various forms of her own image. These natives had spared no expense for their new idol. None at all,  every last inch of the room was decorated with adoring artworks that represented Incursion and her crew.

It was, in all honesty, spectacular. Worthy of being a wonder on any world; and it was all hers. Until, of course, help came and the Incursion crew returned to their ship.

Six months ago the Incursion went after one of Carpathia’s men. They followed him a ways into the Beta quadrant before he unleashed his payload of torpedoes at them. The incursion was crippled. Life support was failing, and there was only enough power in the ship for what Duchene would later call ‘her most embarrassing order ever’. She beamed her crew off the ship down to the m-class planet they orbited.  There wasn’t even enough power to send a distress beacon. Duchene and her crew of mostly red-shirts, “thank god...”  were stuck on a planet with a pre-warp civilization, “more like pre-wheel...” .

Things turned out okay though. The natives of the planet ended up seeing Duchene as their God. Why, was still a mystery to everyone, but Duchene revelled in it. She loved the attention and her crew, hand picked by her, had a good sense of humor to just ‘go with it’. They all adopted their roles as Incursion Skypeople. The natives; now called Duchenians, built homes for the strangers and shared resources, all with reassurance from their God that the Incursion Skypeople wouldn’t steal their souls. It wasn’t a bad place to be, but it wasn’t home.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dushall on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:18 am

Dushall looked at the crew. He knew that he only had moments to figure out what to do. What was the best decision in a time like this? Surely the Redemptions warp signature would be picked up if they were to leave in a hurry. The shuttle and runabout compliment were logged in as well. Then it hit him. There was just one mode of transportation that hadn't been flown at warp speeds. "All senior officers to the briefing room." He looked at Tybalt and motioned for him as well. "You too Tybalt and call for one all of your companies officers. I want them present as well."

<Tag All>

====Briefing Room====

Once everyone was gathered in the room Dushall was going over all his mental notes on what to talk about. In his hands he held Kaines update on the creatures on the hull on the ship. Apparently the larger ones were not eating the hull but instead they were feasting on microscopic organisms that were eating our hull. As that was the only good news that he had seen in a while he was satisfied with that report.

Still standing behind the Admirals chair he looked about at the crowded room. There was the Marine Company CO with his XO and the various platoon officers. The Marine Fighter Pilots Squadron CO's, his Department Chiefs, and Kaine. All were cramped into the room that was only suppose to fit half as many. "First off I want to say 'good job' to all your hard effort that you and your people have been putting forward. It's been an uncertain week with us not knowing really what direction we were going in."

He activated the screen and a picture of Fleet Admiral Wood popped up. "The call that I took in my office was the Director of Starfleet Intelligence. Apparently the Admiral still has favors to cash in with her. She informed me that the Admiral is on McKinley Station orbiting Earth. He was able to escape his captors after all." He chuckled knowing personally how many time the Admiral has barely gotten by when his life was in danger. "The bad news is that if we took the Redemption to Earth we would be arrested or worse attacked on sight. So this will have to be a covert operation."

Tapping the screen a picture of the Defiant Class, USS Incursion, and it's Captain, Commander Duchene, appeared. "Vice Admiral Richards informed me that this officer, Commander Duchene would be willing to help us out. I've delt with this woman during the Andromedan War and it was never very pleasant." Switching the screen the image of Duchene and the Incursion shrunk to reveal a map of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants with the space controlled by different factions colored in. "Six months ago the Incursion was sent to track down a known black market arms dealer in this area of space in the beta quadrant just galactic south of Klingon space. According to reports all signal and communication with the Incursion was lost. Starfleet under orders of President Carpathia have still not sent in a vessel to look for her. They used the excuse of the rising border tensions and the lack of enough vessels to forgo an investigation and pronounced the Incursion missing in action."

"We will need to find Commander Duchene, repair the Incursion, and use that ship to get onto McKinley Station. Unfortunately the Redemption will not be a viable option to find her with. Instead we will be taking the Captain's Yacht on this ship as well as a formidable group of people." He looked at the faces in the crowd and saw the smile on the Marines faces. "Captain Dek'tor and Master Sergeant Tybalt, both of you and two squads of your best men will be coming along with Kaine, Lieutenant Commander Star, Lieutenant Commander Adama, and myself." Looking at the others present he faced Loki, "Commander Loki, you will be in command until we return with the Admiral. It's not going to be a easy command. Last report I received from my private sources has Reynolds' Fleet getting closer to our position. They may or may not find you by the time we get back. Keep the repairs going and keep a keen eye."

Eyeing the Chief Engineer, "Commander Arkham, I need you to develop a way to mask our movements. I don't care if it's cloaking technology, holographic, or whatever. We need to be able to leave this nebula without Starfleet tracking our movements. Do whatever you have to. I need it done and ready by the time we return."

"Any questions, comments, or concerns before I dismiss you all?" He was serious. If there was anything he wanted to know about it. Now was not the time to hesitate.

<Tag All>

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:51 am

| Briefing Room
| USS REDEMPTION-A

"Sir" Tybalt said, calling attention to himself, briefly waiting for the nod before continuing, "I was in that area a while back" he declared, not actually going on to say that it was his first deployment, and therefore a bit longer than a little while back, "And I doubt it has changed that much. Back then it was a mess of pre-warps and covert listening stations" he supplied, "with the occasional rogue runner out hiding from the flow-watch" he added, recalling one such criminal in hiding who had really gotten in the way of things by making a break for it at just the wrong time. "Any chance Intel can narrow the search a bit while we are en route?" he requested, not even wanting to guess how long the search might take otherwise.

Of course there had been some highlights on that deployment.. not least of which was a certain very... forward young lady from one of the rogue klingon outfits that had been willing to work with the marines against the House that had made them a rogue. For the young Andorian marine fresh out of training it had been a revelation and those days and nights remained cherished memories (that he didn't tell his wives about) to this day.

Last he had heard her house had been restored and that part of their history very deliberately glossed over, the last time he had seen her had been at Khitomer in a otherwise deserted office with a big desk while the accords were being signed elsewhere.

"Back then the peepers were manned by some very bored folks willing to believe just about anything if it meant a conversation but now many of those listening stations are automated I think?" Tybalt suggested, keeping his other train of thoughts to himself.. or at least as much to himself as was possible in a room that included at least one mind reader.

"If not then someone might have a contact in the lawless sorts?" he continued, well aware that his were now long out of date... by the better part of a century "Who might maybe have seen something, or known who was being chased where?"

For all that the Fleet was carefully vetted to avoid recruiting people with outright criminal tendencies that never stopped a steady progression of 'light sheep' and 'mostly reformed' folk from finding their way into uniform, many of whom didn't exactly completely cut off contact with their families from beforehand...

Back to top Go down

Post  Clarissa Loki on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:01 am

"We will need to find Commander Duchene, repair the Incursion, and use that ship to get onto McKinley Station. Unfortunately the Redemption will not be a viable option to find her with. Instead we will be taking the Captain's Yacht on this ship as well as a formidable group of people. Captain Dek'tor and Master Sergeant Tybalt, both of you and two squads of your best men will be coming along with Kaine, Lieutenant Commander Star, Lieutenant Commander Adama, and myself. Commander Loki, you will be in command until we return with the Admiral. It's not going to be a easy command. Last report I received from my private sources has Reynolds' Fleet getting closer to our position. They may or may not find you by the time we get back. Keep the repairs going and keep a keen eye."

Clarissa, for her effort tried not to gulp audibly; her throat betrayed her. This was not a mission she wanted Dushall to go on, but knew there was no point in trying to stop him. That crew needed his skills more than the Redemption crew needed him at that moment. She was not looking forward to the sleepless nights that would come with his lack of presence, but Gracie would have to deal with it. Children didn't understand the life and death situations they were living in each day.

"Any questions, comments, or concerns before I dismiss you all?"

Clarissa's mind turned to the giant space slugs and the parasites that they were feeding off, which in turn were trying valiantly to eat their hull. It was a disturbing symbiotic relationship, one that the crew should have been focused on dealing with... if only they hadn't every other issue in the galaxy to contend with too. If one were to look at the symbiotic relationship to the bigger picture they were dealing with involving Admiral Wood and Carpathia, both conveyed a very similar theme of a senseless world in which the powerful instinctively and consistently prey on the weak. But Dushall, Wood and the Redemption themselves may have been small, but they were not weak. 

Her mind wandered to the scientific mode of the giant space slugs and the leeches, and began to wonder if the relationship was parasitic or more Ectosymbiotic. She was going to have to spend more time with Science to figure this out and quickly. She didn't need Dushall, Wood and the others to come back to a Swiss cheese hull for a ship. As she looked over the minimal reports, she wondered about how the use of mimicry might help them shed their unwanted passengers sooner rather than later and then using it as camouflage until Wood returned and they could leave the nebula. Although if these parasites were sentient, their camouflage attempt might make their situation worse.

She frowned and waited for dismissal to go scratch the Giant Slug itch and tag Ensign Curtis who was still the Acting Science Chief. Maybe that young woman had answers where Doctor Loki did not.

<tag Curtis>

Clarissa Loki
Chief Medical Officer
Chief Medical Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top